This project is read-only.

Development guidelines for this project

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:34 AM
As we want to start coding, I thought it's worth to point to some guidelines for you when you're developing for this project:

1- Please don't use .NET 2.0 features such as Generics in your codes. So remove Generics reference from your codes and don't use any .NET 2.0 feature. This is because we want to recompile all classes locally for .NET 1.1 later.
2- If you faced with any obsolete method or namespace, use the .NET 1.1 version because CS 2.x is designed for .NET 1.1 and we follow this.
3- Add any new item to Issue Tracker as I described it in another thread.
4- Never (I said never) Check Out files for editing.
5- Follow our structure to add new projects.
6- Remove any unnecessary reference from your codes/projects.
7- Use XML attributes for configurations. If it’s necessary to have longer text, for configuration it’s better to get the path of the file which contains text/data/html code as XML attribute and check it with that path.
8- Try to write meaningful codes because these classes will be open for users to edit. You can add comments to your code (I'm not a comment guy myself!).
9- *Don't use XML comments in VB codes). This is a new feature for VB 2005 so it's not possible by default to use this feature when we recompile our codes for .NET 1.1.

That's it! I'm sure you all know these but just wanted to have everything same for all. I know CodePlex TFS has some issues so don’t worry about them. For an instance I can’t get email notifications for project which is a very very important feature for me.
Jun 30, 2006 at 5:35 AM
I suggest these steps to develop your CSModules:

1- Add your new project to our project and Check it in by assigning related Work Item and writing comments.
2- Add a new local test project on your machine with .NET 1.1 and develop and test your codes there.
3- Move your files to CSModules project mapped folder on your local machine and solve issues if they were there. Don't forget to follow guidelines.
4- Check in files, bind them to Work Items, choose if the item is Resolved or this build is Associated, write full meaningful comments for build and send them to server.
Jun 30, 2006 at 1:16 PM
Great Keyvan!

We need some guidlines like these, and I think most of the ones you've written here is good.

I wonder a bit about this one though:

"Don't use XML comments in VB codes). This is a new feature for VB 2005 so it's not possible by default to use this feature when we recompile our codes for .NET 1.1."

Do you mean it's not compilable in 1.1? It's just comments so they shouldn't make any difference. Or maybe we're talking about different things?
Jun 30, 2006 at 3:08 PM
Dude, VB 7.0/7.1 doesn't support XML comments.

As you probably know there is a major difference between normal comments and XML comments.
Old versions won't make documentation from XML comments but new version does. Although it probably won't cause any error (they're comment anyway) but I think it's better to avoid using them.
Jun 30, 2006 at 3:18 PM
Yeah, I know :-)

Wasn't planning to use them for documentation, just as comments. And it was an easy way to be able not to have to type everythin myself. I am lazy!! ;-)